Ruby is seeking an inspirational technical leader to be our VP of Software Engineering, responsible for delivering our product roadmap and revamping the underlying technology behind Ruby’s WOW-worthy product and service. Our ideal candidate will be a seasoned software engineering leader who has built, scaled and managed agile distributed development teams, with an understanding of user-centered approaches to problem-solving and development process management. This role will continue building our culture of accountability and empowerment while bringing new ideas to drive agility and velocity. The VP of Engineering will report to the Chief Product & Technology Officer.
This is a strategic role that requires comfort and strength in presenting and communicating our engineering and technology strategy with leaders and functions across the company. You’ll be accountable for building and implementing a strong long-term technology stack and engineering plan that aligns with the company’s strategies and product vision.
You will own the technical definition, architecture and quality assurance for software product development, scaling, reliability and security activities. Additionally, you will be responsible for continuing to evolve the Ruby software stack and development processes, with an API-first approach to make Ruby’s platform easy to build on and integrate with.
You will build the team of architects, software and QA engineers to be highly engaged, and motivated in an environment that supports collaboration, diversity, equity and inclusion and all the Ruby core values. If you love setting the technology vision, mentoring people to develop their careers and have a knack for building a strong, quality-first engineering culture, then this is a great role for you.
- Ensure the product vision is realized by optimizing processes, roles and systems so that the team delivers with high quality, velocity, predictability and without fear of iterating on features.
- Lead, manage, and develop the department of software engineers, QA, and engineering managers creating career tracks and providing insightful feedback on performance and growth.
- Create an innovative engineering culture characterized as highly collaborative, customer-focused, execution-oriented, and best in class that embraces the Ruby Core values, and strongly promotes equity, diversity and inclusion in the department.
- Set the technology architecture vision and provide support to the architects and software engineering managers to translate the vision into practical designs for implementation.
- Strategically arbitrate between business and engineering needs and help engineers understand the business direction and how individual work facilitates company goals and success.
- Define, measure and make visible metrics to track our delivery on the product vision and strategic goals. Track results in a supportive, motivating, and fact-driven way.
- Develop strong relationships with cross functional partners in product, UX, Infrastructure and across the organization.
- Identify technology trends and evolving industry behavior that impact the success of the technology roadmap, strategy, and vision and adjust our approach as needed.
Your Work DNA
- You are a strong, articulate, natural leader, able to successfully motivate and challenge a team of talented and creative people.
- You have a bias towards action and make decisions after considering data and competing viewpoints.
- You’re curious and architectural in your thinking.
- You are proud of the work you do, and want to work for a company that shares your values.
- Others would point to you as someone they’d love to work with, and your brilliant mind and innovative solutions inspire us all to do great work.
- You jump at the opportunity to pitch in and feed the greater good. No job is too big or small when you can lend a helping hand.
- You can extract big-picture ideas into workable processes and functional design.
- You can build infrastructure and processes from the ground up, as well as iterate legacy structures for continuous improvement.
- You love the fast-paced environment of a growth-stage company, and possess a scrappy, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves approach.
- 10+ years in a software engineering leadership role leading teams and driving strategy
- 5+ years working on SaaS, multi-tenant products and services
- Demonstrated success in building highly scalable and reliable APIs and Micro-service architectures for web and mobile applications.
- Record of motivating teams, developing managers, software architects, QA and software engineers and leading by example to drive the team to continuously innovate, improve and think differently
- Experience managing, hiring and growing engineering teams and experience in running teams across multiple locations
- Proven ability to execute, lead, and manage change through strong storytelling skills and persuasive both written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or better in Computer Science or related field a plus
While we’re all remote currently due to COVID, work typically takes place in an open office setting. It requires the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and by computer.
Ruby Receptionists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. We support and encourage diversity!